You can configure outgoing email for a farm by using the SharePoint Central Administration website. Use the following procedures to configure outgoing email. After you complete the procedures, users can track changes and updates to individual site collections. In addition, site administrators can, for example, receive notices when users request access to a site.
To configure outgoing email for a farm by using Central Administration
- Verify that the user account that is performing this procedure is a member of the Farm Administrators group on the server that is running the SharePoint Central Administration website.
- In Central Administration, click System Settings.
- On the System Settings page, in the E-Mail and Text Messages (SMS) section, click Configure outgoing e-mail settings.
- On the Outgoing E-Mail Settings page, in the Mail Settings section, type the SMTP server name for outgoing email (for example, mail.example.com) in the Outbound SMTP server box.
- In the From address box, type the email address as you want it to be displayed to email recipients.
- In the Reply-to address box, type the email address to which you want email recipients to reply.
- In the Character set list, select the character set that is appropriate for your language.
- Click OK.